Monday, March 29, 2010

Foreign bank licenses

Credit Suisse and ANZ have been given banking licenses, FT reports. The report also says that eight more banking licenses are to be awarded shortly, including to corporate groups, such as Reliance and Tatas, although a report in today's Economic Times discounts this possibility.

My own view is that both foreign banks and corporate groups can be licensed more freely for exclusively rural ventures. This mitigates regulatory problems and dovetails nicely with the overriding objective of achieving greater financial inclusion. More on this in my ET column, Let foreign banks into rural areas.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.

Anonymous said...

Where can one find more information on the world banks? How many are there and what are their names? What does it take to get a world banking number? Thanks!