Wednesday, February 03, 2010

India's unemployable engineers

India produces more engineers every year than the US but that's not necessarily a matter for rejoicing. A large number of Indian engineering graduates are unemployable, according to a report in the Economist, which quotes a study done by an Indian firm, Aspiring Minds:

According to the company, only 4.2% of India’s engineers are fit to work in a software product firm, and just 17.8% are employable by an IT services company, even with up to six months’ training. A larger share could cope in business-process outsourcing (call centres and the like). These findings are even gloomier than the 25% figure for employability that has been bandied about since 2005, when McKinsey released the results of a survey of international companies.
For this reason, Indian firms, including IT firms, find it convenient to confine their recruitment to the top 100 colleges. But this is a soft option and one that cannot help meet Indian firms' huge demand for engineers in the coming years. The challenge is to locate the small percentage in the large pool of engineers outside the top 100 colleges that is fit for employment. Apparently, Aspiring Minds has developed standardised tests that helps locate that small percentage.

If this works to the satisfaction of employers, it will be a huge gain. There is only so much extra capacity you can create in higher education. We have to make the best of the existing capacity- locate the quality in a large pool. Next, firms must invest in training. We see this happening already in banking and insurance where, again, the demand for people is going to be huge. Waiting for colleges to produce graduates who are readily employable will mean a long wait indeed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seeing these kind of posts reminds me of just how technology truly is everywhere in this day and age, and I am fairly certain that we have passed the point of no return in our relationship with technology.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Ethical concerns aside... I just hope that as technology further develops, the possibility of downloading our memories onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's a fantasy that I dream about almost every day.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://quizilla.teennick.com/stories/16129580/does-the-r4-or-r4i-work-with-the-new-ds]R4 SDHC[/url] DS rrPost)

Steffy said...

You might have heard many tragic love stories and mine is also not different from others. My love story started five years back when I was pursuing my engineering in college. The girl whom I loved was not studying in my college. I tried hard to impress the girl whom I loved and at last I succeeded also. She also fell in love with me. So we decided to marry each other. But when I asked her father's permission to marry her, he was like a typical father and asked my earning. I was not earning anything at that time as I had just completed my engineering and was preparing for CAT next year and had applied for admission. So he asked me to earn 1 crore rupees first and then think of marriage. I thought of a good job by which I can earn lump sum amount of money but realized that 1 crore is too much to earn by a job and by the time my girlfriend's father would have tied the knot to any other idiot. So now no other option was left other than doing business or robbing a bank. The former was a better option.
I thought of every possible business but unfortunately all required a lot of money. At last the idea of making a business directory came to my mind and I decided to design an online directory. But as there were numerous other directories so it was mandatory for me to do something new. This gave rise to this logo directory. With the help of some of my saving I got the website ready.
Now you might be thinking whether this is true or fake. But believe me this is all raw truth. Although this idea came from my love story but this is truly a powerful business model and hopefully looking your business listed here.

The website is http://onlinepages.in/